[Koha] Re: marc and stuff!

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Fri May 25 09:46:42 NZST 2001

Hi Steve,

> I think Koha really needs to be moved to a system that is at least partly
> based on Marc.  I think that the records for each bibliography should be
> in MARC format, and that changes can be made either to the Koha Mysql
> tables, or the underlying MARC records and changes will be made in both
> places.  The way that Koha stores records currently (broken into biblio
> and biblioitems) might make this a little difficult, but we could maybe
> associate particular MARC records with biblioitems, I guess, and then just
> have groups of MARC records associated with one biblio, as is done now.

Yep
I think you are right. And I think if we do it carefully, maybe by use of
the systemprefs table, we can set it up so that koha uses the MARC records,
or its existing system. At least for the time we are developing the MARC
compatibility anyway.
What do you think?

Chris
025 500 789                                        Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz