[Koha] Re: marc and stuff!

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Fri May 25 09:40:53 NZST 2001

hi Lora,

your announcement is very interesting for our uses (we operate a small
reference/science library at an astronomcal observatory).

would your group welcome taking your MARC code and having volunteers port
it back to KOHA?

-ron
rjw at rfo.org
Valley of the Moon Observatory Association
http://vmoa.kenwood.ca.us

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Lora Morgaine wrote:

---snip---

> A small group of us have been working on making KOHA compatible with MARC
> records and in general with libraries in North and South America. We are at
> the point where we successfully import MARC records in full, and allow
> editing on over 200 most-utilized fields and subfields. One can also create
> a new MARC record, but cannot export records yet.
>
> We also altered the database structure significantly to import successfully
> all fields, subfields, and indicators, and also changed the OPAC interface.
> It was rewritten in PHP for more flexibility, as well. Because we have
> changed so much of the system, we renamed ours to "OpenBook" - but it's
> still an open-source system with code available to everyone. Our ultimate
> goal is to help small libraries who wish to automate or move to less
> expensive automation options.

---snip---