[Koha] koha setup problems

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Tue Mar 27 12:16:54 NZST 2001

Hi Zeki

Sorry for taking so long to respond

> >------------------- IMPORTANT---------------
> >the permissions on this config file should also be strict, since
> >they contain the database password. At a minimum, the apache
> >user needs to be able to read it, as well as any other user that
> >runs circ. I would suggest ownership of www-data.libadmins with
> >no access to others. libadmins contain all users that use koha. (If
> >you set the owner as www-data u will need to make sure apache
> >is running as www-data)
> >------------------------------------------------------- (I didn't understant this
> paragraph perhaps the problem's reason is at that terms.)

Ahh yes, ok, what u need to do is check what user your apache is running as.
You can do this by checking the httpd.conf file.
Now whatever apache runs as (say www-data for our example) should be the
owner of the /etc/koha.conf (chown www-data /etc/koha.conf).
Now if you want to run curses based circulation functions .. you will need
to set up the file permissions so that the users that run the curses based
circulation (circ) have read permissions to the /etc/koha.conf.
(Else the script wont be able to read the database passwords etc and wont be
able to connect to the database)
So youd set up a group called for example libadmins .. and all users that
will use circ will be in that group.
Then you'd make change the group of /etc/koha.conf to libadmins (chgrp
libadmins /etc/koha.conf)
Finally make it readable and writeable by the owner, readable by the group,
and no access for everybody else.
(chmod 640 /etc/koha.conf)

Then if you do an ls -l /etc/koha.conf the permissions should look something
like this
-rw-r-----    1 www-data     libadmins           57 Mar 15 16:54 /etc/koha.conf

I hope this is clearer.

Also if you are getting a blank page when you do a search, check the apache
error logs, they may give you a hint of what is going wrong

Hope this helps

Chris

025 500 789                                        Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz