[Koha] (Fwd) Koha

Stuart A Yeates say1 at cs.waikato.ac.nz
Mon Dec 4 16:09:01 NZDT 2000

Rob said:
> Someone else said:
> >     Rachel We recommended to the library that they release the
> >     software as "Open Source". That means that anyone else can
> >     download the software and run it up on their machine without
> >     paying either us or Horowhenua Library Trust a cent.
> >
> >     Rosalie Not just for the glory (though this is a world
> >     first)!
> If that is that so, then I think your claim of a world first is a bit
> ambititious.
>
> We've been giving away our school library software (Athenaeum Light)
> for 3 years now, over the internet. No strings. All passwords. Savvy
> users can modify the code, if they have the knowhow and tools. It is
> certainly different to what you have, but the basic concepts are the
> same.

I think the 'world first' was referring to the open source nature of the
project see .

It is indeed great to hear that other people doing Open Source libraryware.

We at the New Zealand Digital Library (http://www.nzdl.org) have been
producing Open Source for fully digital libraries since 1995. We deliberately
target low end humanitarian and similar organisations, with support for many
languages (including the right-to-left reading order and large character
sets), platforms back to win 3.11 and no propriortry software needed. See
http://www.gnu.org/ for a definition of what we mean when we say open source.

While there's a difference between digital library software and library
automation software (the former deals with electronic documents the later with
physical documents), I imagine that there are many similarities.

stuart

--    stuart yeates <s.yeates at cs.waikato.ac.nz> aka `loam'
"Oh, havoc," cried Pooh, as he let slip the heffalumps of war.
X-no-archive:yes