[Koha] Koha details/features

Rachel Hamilton-Williams rachel at katipo.co.nz
Wed Sep 6 18:59:35 NZST 2000

hi Randy

>    Perusing the web site I find myself full of questions as to the exact
> capabilities and features of KOHA.  For example, does it handle
> distribution; bar coding, scanning and things like that?  What are its
> exact functions and capabilities?

What's distribution? Is that circulation - issues and returns - if so yes, this
runs a medium sized public library right now - so issues and returns, various
branches etc.

Yes does barcode scanning - am surprised by how often this comes up - we
couldn't imagine that a system wouldn't do it - so don't think to make a big
deal of it - is like "does it take a keyboard" :-)

we are working to revise the original RFP/spec documents and database
structure diagrams - as what we planned and what turned out are somewhat
different.

However it has what we consider to be the "normal" functionality of a public
library system - ie a system to run a public library :-)

Specifically: catalogue, members (patrons to the USA peoples), circulation,
acquisitions, opac - is light in the areas of built in reports - we've been using
a 3rd party report writer which is clunky  - although fine if you know how to
write SQL queries.

More specifically than that - it doesn't curently import MARC records as
such - primarily we haven't needed too, but there is a project to do that
underway that we're hoping to tap into.

It doesn't currently do Z3950 - again not something the people who
commissioned the system needed right now - so hasn't been written.

It DOES do reserves, fines, overdues, and knows about branches,  and
definitly if you had 2 schools running it you could merge the catalogues. AS
it is now they could be two branches of one library - but we also want to be
able to have a sort of meta library layer that lets them be 2 seperate libraries,
but have joint catalogue.

>    Any whacks with a clue-bat, pointers, descriptions of capabilities, and
> other info for a KOHA newbie would be greatly appreciated

We went public with it about 6 weeks ago and have been blown away by the
response - so are madly trying to get the documentation etc more accurate
so we can make it available

cheers
Rachel

Rachel Hamilton-Williams             Katipo Communications
WEBMISTRESS                          ph  025 300 825 or +64 04 389 1285
mailto:rachel at katipo.co.nz           PO Box 7039, Wellington
http://www.katipo.co.nz              New Zealand