[Koha] Conversion of WinISIS data to Koha

Bruns, Anke Anke.Bruns at gwdg.de
Thu Apr 4 22:00:52 NZDT 2024

Dear Tahir,

first of all, it is important to know in what format the data from WinISIS (which is unknown to me) can be exported. And what types of data you are planning to convert - only bibliographic data (titles, authorities, items) or also patrons, loans, orders etc.

For the biblio data, it would be best if they could be exported in MARC format. The item information would be exported to a Koha specific field, depending on what MARC flavor you use; for MARC21 it is 952 (see https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Holdings_data_fields_(9xx) ).

If a MARC export isn't possible, you must export the data in whatever format is possible and then convert it into MARC format.

Then, when the data is available in MARC, there could be some work to do in order to prepare the data for Koha, depending on the data quality (e.g. each title record must have a 245$a field, each item must have some mandatory information you can see in the wiki article linked above), on the character set used - there may be characters that Koha won't accept, the date format (on this topic you'll find info also in the wiki article mentioned).

And finally the data can be imported into a Koha instance via the web interface (staff client) or the command line.

For patron data there is a process explained in the patrons section of the staff client, iirc. For loans there is a process to import offline circulations that may be used, see https://kohageek.blogspot.com/2019/09/importing-of-check-out-entries.html on this.

The whole process is quite complex and cannot be explained in one e-mail. Perhaps this gives you a first idea.

And I just found this in the Koha Wiki which may be helpful if you read Spanish:
https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Migration_from_ISIS_to_Koha_(Spanish)

Best regards,
Anke

--
Anke Bruns M.A. (LIS)
Arbeitsgruppe "Anwendungs- und Informationssysteme"
E-Mail: anke.bruns at gwdg.de
Tel.: +49 551 39-30291
Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH Göttingen (GWDG)
Burckhardtweg 4, 37077 Göttingen, URL: https://gwdg.de

Support: Tel.: +49 551 39-30000, URL: https://gwdg.de/support
Sekretariat: Tel.: +49 551 39-30001, E-Mail: gwdg at gwdg.de

Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Ramin Yahyapour
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Prof. Dr. Christian Griesinger
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Göttingen
Registergericht: Göttingen, Handelsregister-Nr. B 598
Zertifiziert nach ISO 9001 und ISO 27001