[Koha] The "one manual" idea

Caroline Cyr La Rose caroline.cyr-la-rose at inlibro.com
Fri Sep 22 05:28:37 NZST 2023

Thank you David,

That is all excellent food for thought! A lot of questions in which to
sink our teeth into. (I'm using a lot of food and eating idioms... It's
lunchtime and I think I might be hungry!)

We will have to discuss all of this in the future documentation
meetings. Here are some of my answers and thoughts to keep the
conversation going. Anyone can feel free to contradict me or concur with
me, please do! :)

Distinction between manual and wiki: as I understand it, the manual is
for Koha end users (librarians, technicians, library clerks, etc.) and
the wiki is more for Koha developers, system administrators and IT people.

Informal documentation in the mailing list: as far as I know, there is
no official process to move something from the mailing list to the
manual or the wiki. When I see that something comes up repeatedly in
questions, and I have time, I add the information to the manual. We
should definitely make it a habit of at least creating a bug in bugzilla
in the Documentation component to keep a trace that this needs to be
documented.

Switch languages: that is a good idea. I'm not sure how to implement it,
and the manual translation is currently a saga all on its own. But you
can definitely change the URL with the language code. I do it all the
time between fr_CA and en (note that the URL uses the underscore instead
of the hyphen between the code and subcode (?), i.e. fr_CA and not fr-CA).

Placeholders for new features: that could be interesting. I wonder if it
would highlight just how much is missing in the manual, haha! We have
tried in the past to have developers who submit a patch or institutions
who sponsor a feature to submit at least some documentation with the
enhancement. It didn't work, but if it was minimal like "Feature A does
X, Y, Z [this feature needs more documentation]" or something like that
it might catch on more (that is what is called "dreaming in colour" in
French).

Voting/prioritizing documentation sections: I think creating a bug in
bugzilla or commenting on an existing bug is the best way to do this
currently.

Versioning: what we currently do is that at one point we create a branch
for the version of Koha in the git repository and that becomes the
manual version for that version of Koha. As Aude said, we try to
backport some contributions to older manuals if the feature exists in
that version of Koha, but it is not officially part of the process and
it's pretty much to the discretion of the Documentation manager, who
does everything (we don't have "version maintainers" like Koha has
"release maintainers"). Some have more time to contribute and backport
religiously, some don't have as much time and don't backport (most of
the time it starts as a good intention of backporting conscientiously
and as the time goes and other things pile on, it becomes less of a
priority). This is one of the issues that the "one manual (to rule them
all)" idea is trying to solve.

It is possible to change versions in the URL, as it is with languages.
It would be interesting, if we keep various versions, to add this
possibility like switching languages. I don't know what form this could
take either.

I'm interested in looking into the version banner thing. There are *old*
manuals floating in Google (like 3.xx) and I think it'd be interesting
to clean everything up a bit and place warnings on the oldish ones. I
might need the help of a developer for this.

As for helping, and this applies to anyone willing to help, there is a
"Needs documenting" status in bugzilla
(https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/buglist.cgi?bug_status=Needs%20documenting&list_id=475125&query_format=advanced)
as well as a "Documentation" component
(https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=ASSIGNED&component=Documentation&list_id=475126&query_format=advanced).
Anyone can pick one of those bugs and write documentation. I admit the
contribution process has a learning curve as we use gitlab and git is
not something most Koha end users know. The process is described on the
Koha community wiki
https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Editing_the_Koha_Manual and we have
a core team who is willing to teach anyone interested in contributing.

I hope to see you and a lot of new faces in the meeting next week!

Kind regards,

Caroline (off to eat her lunch)