[Koha] [koha-US Mailing List] Modifying Koha for a citation database, or, Hey folks, try this at home!

John Sterbenz jsterben at umich.edu
Thu Mar 23 07:57:41 NZDT 2023

Fred was not alone--and congratulations to him for getting this
operational, taking it to levels and adding details that make this an
incredibly useful resource!

*[optional reading below!]*

I did something incredibly similar at my old job, continuing a resource
that I had developed as a "proof of concept" within Millennium and
transitioning it to a "proof of concept" within Koha.  Under both, it was
called "Faculty Scholarship".  I gave a presentation on it at the Ohio
Valley Group of Technical Services Librarians in 2018 (*holy cow that was a
long time ago now.... *
https://wayback.archive-it.org/11102/20180927174532/https://events.library.nd.edu/ovgtsl2018/talk/sterbenz.shtml
)

The big difference between the two implementations (as I did them) was in
how they were kept.  Millennium only supported one database, so location
scoping was used.  In Koha, it ran in its own database and under its own
ports (both public and staff side), but also supported its own style sheets
for the WebPAC (and bibliographic frameworks, too).

For the record, both efforts died on the vine and never moved any further
than what was reported in the 2018 presentation.  My departure in 2020
would have killed it anyway, so I'm glad I didn't spend the considerable
effort it would have taken to keep it going.

As an unsupported site (like Fred), I just went ahead and "did things", not
needing to work with anyone except myself on making the changes I needed to
the system architecture.

John

John E. Sterbenz, Jr.

*Executive Director*