[Koha] Can the Koha Mailing List and DMARC become friends?

Thomas Dukleth kohalist at agogme.com
Fri Mar 10 04:30:11 NZDT 2023

I added to the meeting agenda some brief consideration of implementation
if we adopt DMARC for the Koha mailing list.  These issues have had some
discussion on the Koha mailing list.  There is no problem free way to
implement DMARC for mailing lists in part because email and mailing lists
were designed before authentication of senders was considered a
sufficiently concerning problem.

Two implementation approaches to consider are the following.  Quotations
below are from the Mailman 3 section in https://wiki.list.org/DEV/DMARC
but there are matching parts in the Mailman 2 section.

One option: "Munge the From: header - The obvious way to avoid a DMARC
rejection [...]"

Alternative option: "Wrap the message - This involves MIME wrapping the
original message [...] Users of MUAs that can't unwrap this MIME
decoration would suffer."  The suffering would be some users of the very
wide variety of email clients people use from console, to desktop, to some
old mobile device may not see any body message and merely have an
attachment requiring extra processing outside of the user's email program.
 See "If MIMEs could talk: Email structures in the wild" / Bo Waggoner -
https://bowaggoner.com/bomail/writeups/mimes.html for some perspective on
the complexities of mime use in messages and how every email client has an
individual implementation to cope.

My current understanding leads me to prefer "munging the from header" as
an implementation despite some RFC non-compliance.  As stated above;
email, mailing lists, and their associated RFCs long preceded
considerations of authentication.  Having problematic email clients for
"https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Development_IRC_meeting_9_March_2023MIME
wrapping" in the wild seems to me to be a worse problem than some
otherwise unavoidable RFC non-compliance with the very diverse subscriber
base for the mailing list.  Diverse subscribers have diverse computer
systems and frequently restrictions on changing them where they actually
read and reply to email on work systems and other systems as opposed to
some major proprietary webmail intermediaries through which email may pass
for many people.

Thomas Dukleth
Agogme
109 E 9th Street, 3D