[Koha] FW: [EXTERNAL] Re: Circulation rule for Collection.

King, Fred Fred.King at Medstar.net
Tue Jul 25 08:02:36 NZST 2023

You have a point, but one of the wonderful things about Koha is that it's infinitely configurable. When I set up Koha about ten years ago, I didn't quite know what I was doing, so I made reference, reserve, and circulating books different item types because that was the only way I could think of making different circulations rules for each group. (Still is, I think.) We're a small library, we're not part of a consortium, and in our case it doesn't really matter if a book's item type is Book or Reference. Our system makes things easier for us, and that's what really matters.

Fred King, MSLS, AHIP
Medical Librarian, MedStar Washington Hospital Center fred.king at medstar.net
202-877-6670
ORCID 0000-0001-5266-0279
MedStar Authors Catalog: http://medstarauthors.org

Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else that thinks at least as logically as it does.
--Douglas Adams

-----Original Message-----
From: Koha <koha-bounces at lists.katipo.co.nz> On Behalf Of Coehoorn, Joel
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2023 12:05 PM
To: SATISH <lis4satish at gmail.com>
Cc: Rupinder Singh <jessedhammu at gmail.com>; Koha <koha at lists.katipo.co.nz>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Koha] Circulation rule for Collection.

**ATTENTION: This email originated from outside the MedStar Health network.
 ** DO NOT CLICK links or attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

This is unfortunate, because fundamentally REF is **not** an item type.
Rather, the items here are still things like books, DVDs, serials, etc, and needing to code them as REF to control circulation means Koha forces us to overwrite that information from the normal location in those records.

*Joel Coehoorn*
Director of Information Technology
*York University*
Office: 402-363-5603 | jcoehoorn at york.edu | york.edu