[Koha] [Elasticsearch] Search doesn't escape trailing full stop

Aleisha Amohia aleisha at catalyst.net.nz
Wed Sep 14 16:23:35 NZST 2022

Hi everyone

We have a record that can't seem to link to an authority record, I think
this is because it has a trailing full stop - for example, John Smith Jr.

When we strip out the trailing full stop (i.e. John Smith Jr), the
search is successful. We get zero results if we keep it.

There is an easy workaround to strip the trailing full stop when we
search, however I'm sure there's a configurable way to avoid this.

The default Elasticsearch index configuration that comes with Koha is:
https://git.koha-community.org/Koha-community/Koha/src/branch/master/admin/searchengine/elasticsearch/index_config.yaml

I wonder the 'keyword' tokenizer is what causes this problem? Perhaps we
could change it to 'standard' which removes most punctuation - I'd like
to try but would love to know if this would solve my problem without
rebuilding all my indexes!

Any thoughts?

--
*Aleisha Amohia (she/her)*
Koha Development Lead

*Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group company*
Tel: +64 4 499 2267 | www.catalyst.net.nz <http://www.catalyst.net.nz>

Catalyst Logo

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email is intended for the named recipients
only. It may contain privileged, confidential or copyright information.
If you are not the named recipient, any use, reliance upon, disclosure
or copying of this email or its attachments is unauthorised. If you have
received this email in error, please reply via email or call +64 4 499 2267.