[Koha] Patron logins, self registration and existing accounts

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Tue May 24 06:57:47 NZST 2022

We're  a research library. Only members of the Society have borrowing
privileges and very few borrow items. All current members have patron
accounts.  We're looking at the simplest way to implement user logins. I'm
trying to understand how self registration and existing patrons work
together (or not)  in regards to user logins.
Two questions:
1) Every member has a membership id number, a combination of numbers and
letters (different from their borrowed number).  It would be a simple thing
to use their membership id number as their temporary password (allowing
them to change the password once they've logged in).  Does this make sense?
2) We  have visiting researchers who aren't members and would like to allow
them to self-register. If we enable self-registration, what happens if
someone with an existing (member) account attempts to self-register?  Would
it detect the possible duplicate?  Will it create a second account?
If there are duplicates, is it possible to merge them?

Just trying to anticipate what will happen before we commit one way or the
other.

Elaine Bradtke
VWML <https://www.vwml.org>
English Folk Dance and Song Society <https://www.efdss.org>
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)