[Koha] Adding an encryption_key to koha-conf.xml

Mike Lake mikel at speleonics.com.au
Thu Jun 30 23:26:09 NZST 2022

Hi

Nice that a bug has been opened for this Jonathan.

I'm still unsure what to do.
koha-foreach will run a command for each Koha instance. I have two
instances, the main "opac" and a test "libtest2"
I can create a key in place of __ENCRYPTION_KEY__ within
koha-conf-site.xml.in

But what command should I be running with foreach?
Do I need the chdir for whatever command to run?
koha-foreach [--chdir] [command]

I gather that changes in koha-conf-site.xml.in will be propagated to
both site files: sites/libtest2/koha-conf.xml and
sites/opac/koha-conf.xml
(like changing __KOHASITE__ to the actual site etc ....)

Thanks
Mike

On 2022-06-30 5:20 pm, Jonathan Druart wrote:
> Hello Mike,
>
> I opened bug 31059.
> You can use a string that is considered a strong password.
> Out of the box Koha does not provide a script to edit this file, but
> you could write a script for that (open the xml, generate a key, add
> the missing entry, write the xml) then use koha-foreach to run it for
> each koha site.
>
> Regards,
> Jonathan
>
> Le sam. 25 juin 2022 à 12:21, Mike Lake <mikel at speleonics.com.au> a
> écrit :
>>
>> Hi All
>>
>> Just upgraded tonight from Koha 21.11.05.000 to 22.05.00-1
>> That all went fine.
>>
>> The About Koha page now says:
>> "Warning: You are missing the <encryption_key> entry in your
>> koha-conf.xml file. Please generate a key."
>>
>> I can see a place for this is the koha-conf-site.xml.in file (and a
>> suggestion to use pwgen 32) but how do you process this to the
>> koha-conf.xml files for each site?
>>
>> The "pwgen 32" suggests this should be 32 characters and is itself
>> just
>> something that no one should be able to guess. So I can can just put
>> anything in there that is long and complex?
>>
>> I could not find anything about this is the docs or wiki or recent
>> emails, just the patch for it in the github repo via Google.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mike

Mike