[Koha] [EXTERNAL] Re: Koha on Debian 10

King, Fred Fred.King at Medstar.net
Tue Jun 7 03:34:54 NZST 2022

Right now I’d suggest a cup of tea, if you have something other than an electric kettle. But never mind that for now.

Have you considered Ubuntu? It’s a derivative of Debian, but slightly easier. If your computer has enough RAM and disk space, you can even install the desktop/GUI version and then install Koha in a terminal window. (Don’t tell the hardcore Debian folks I said this.)

What follows might horrify some people, but I’m a librarian who learned Koha/Ubuntu because I needed to—I didn’t start out as an IT expert. It sounds like you’re in the same situation I was back in 2013 when I started messing about with Koha. I didn’t have support (support vendors are lovely and charming people, but we didn’t have the money), so I had to learn things on my own. It’s a lot easier these days, trust me. I started with Vimal Kumar’s Live DVD, which lets you run Koha as a demo but also lets you install it on a computer. I learned by installing it, breaking it, installing it again, breaking it again, until I knew enough to go to my boss and say “here’s a fully-functional ILS with all our bibliographic data on it. All I need is a more powerful computer to run it on.” Vimal Kumar’s site is http://kohageek.blogspot.com/. The Koha-live DVD is at https://sourceforge.net/projects/kohalivedvd/files/?source=navbar. It’s not the current version, but you can upgrade it.

There are other ways, of course. You can download Ubuntu, burn it to a DVD, and start from there. My (slightly outdated) video https://youtu.be/B02ooewdQhs will take you from the Ubuntu command line to the Koha admin page. Part 2 will be out soon. See www.avengingchicken.online<http://www.avengingchicken.online> under Handbooks, manuals, etc. and www.koha-us.org<http://www.koha-us.org> under Learn for more information.

Keep at it! If I can do it, you can do it.

And now I’ll crawl under my desk and await the replies from people who think my advice is terrible.

Fred King, MSLS, AHIP
fred.king at medstar.net
202-877-6670
ORCID 0000-0001-5266-0279
MedStar Authors Catalog: http://medstarauthors.org

I, for one, like Roman numerals.
--Trad

From: Ah Win <ahwin2006 at gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, June 6, 2022 11:03 AM
To: Joel Coehoorn <jcoehoorn at york.edu>
Cc: King, Fred <Fred.King at Medstar.net>; sawnyi san <sawnyi86 at gmail.com>; koha <koha at lists.katipo.co.nz>
Subject: Re: [Koha] [EXTERNAL] Re: Koha on Debian 10

**ATTENTION: This email originated from outside the MedStar Health network.
** DO NOT CLICK links or attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Dear Joel,

Thank you for your suggestion and we tried by installing Debian over top of it. Unfortunately, we have the power and internet cut off for the whole day. It is very difficult to make the installation work these days. After installation, we could not get user name and password screen. After the 2nd time, we got the error message please see the file.

We all are librarians and learning hard about Debian.
Thank you very much for your support.
Best regards,
Ah Win