[Koha] To companies selling Koha but rarely contributing or self-hosted libraries: testing enhancements or bug fixes is one of the easiest ways to give back and keep your product relevant in the future

Victor Grousset/tuxayo victor at tuxayo.net
Fri Jul 29 14:44:48 NZST 2022

Hello :)

To companies in Asia, like India or Pakistan (Koha seems very popular
there :D) or any other country, be it in the Americas, Europe or Africa:
If you are making a living out of Koha, it's a good and cheap business
decision to test one or two patches from time to time. So you take part
in keeping Koha competitive on the long run and secure all the time you
invested in learning how to deploy and use it. That will help to ensure
your customers will stay satisfied with Koha staying a state of the art ILS.

Maybe there are bugfixes or enhancements that you are waiting to be
released? There are more than 180 enhancements or bug fixes waiting and
that means most of them wait months and some years to be released.
It wastes a lot of developer time to keep the proposed patches working
when the rest of Koha changes. So there is a big need to have more
people test patches to rebalance the Koha development process and remove
this big bottleneck.

Again, cheap in time, it's doing your part in exchange for the software
you got for free ready to be sold/use, and a long run investment to keep
it a good sellable product.

See my previous email about planning testing sessions:
https://lists.katipo.co.nz/pipermail/koha/2022-July/058259.html
Don't hesitate to message me if you want to try on your own outside the
testing sessions. I will be very happy to help anyone that want to start
testing patches from time to time.

Cheers,

--
Victor Grousset/tuxayo