[Koha] One thing I realized (HTTPS over a LAN)

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Mon Jul 25 12:39:36 NZST 2022

Is the goal to have a Koha library system that is not available on the Internet but does have HTTPS over the local network?

While I haven't personalized used it, you could look at the DNS-01 challenge with Let's Encrypt: https://letsencrypt.org/docs/challenge-types/. That would give a lot of options. If you didn't want to have any public sites, you could use a third-party hosted DNS provider with an API. You can point public DNS at internal IP addresses. AWS does this all the time for servers.

You could look at this for a more specific example: https://blog.heckel.io/2018/08/05/issuing-lets-encrypt-certificates-for-65000-internal-servers/

This would be an even cleaner solution.

And if you didn't want that IP address public for whatever reason, you could probably do a split DNS so that only local servers see the IP address, but that's going a bit more above and beyond.

Ways and ways...

David Cook
Senior Software Engineer
Prosentient Systems