[Koha] Migrating from one server to another

Evan Stewart evanstewart406 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 15:58:04 NZST 2022

Hi CS,

What version of Koha is running on the old server and what version is
running on the new server?

I've relocated my data from a server running Koha 20 to one running Koha 21
without issue. Both servers were Debian 10. It is fairly simple using the
koha-dump and koha-restore commands from the Linux terminal. You run
koha-dump on the old server, copy the files created to the new server, and
then run koha-restore on the new server. The koha-dump command creates a
.tar file of the application config files and the database dump file.

You can install Koha on the new server but instead of creating a new
instance (like you would if you were installing a new library setup) you
can use the koha-restore command to restore the previous Koha installation
to the new server. A brief summary of the koha-dump and koha-restore
commands can be found here:
https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Commands_provided_by_the_Debian_packages#koha-dump

After the older install is restored to the new server (using koha-restore)
you must edit the Apache config file used for the Koha instance to match
the new server environment (assuming you're using Apache for the server).
On my Debian server the site config file is located at
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/instanceName.conf

If it would help, I will look for my notes I made the last time I did this
earlier this year.

-Evan