[Koha] How to measure and improve Koha performance for our instance?

Mike Lake mikel at speleonics.com.au
Fri Jan 14 18:04:11 NZDT 2022

Hi all

We have a production library setup at https://opac.caves.org.au and its
now ready for users to use. We also have a test instance that can be
used for testing. I'm wanting to know the options for measuring and
improving the performance - just basic load and search time that users
perceive.

Currently we are running on a Linode instance with 1 CPU and 2 GB RAM.
Yes it's a small library :-) Looking at Linode Longview it shows we have
not hit more than 7% CPU usage and it usually sits at 1% CPU and 670 MB
mem when idle. During a query cpu goes to 100% for a short period and
mem to ~ 1 GB.

I see in htop that several memcache threads are running. That's now
installed automatically with Koha? The wiki seems to suggest that its
optional. And there is plack mentioned in the wiki. Should we be running
plack?

I can double our Linode instance to 2 CPUs and 4 GB RAM but that's
possibly an irreversible change (and double the $) so wish to leave that
until I know it would make a significant difference. And how could I
quantify that performance increase?

Thanks

--
Mike