[Koha] Off-site storage

Charles Kelley cmkelleymls at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 17:47:16 NZDT 2021

Hi, Elaine et al!

    In our latest exchange, on 22 Oct. 2021 at 08:01 [JST], I received this
from Elaine Bradtke <eb at efdss.org>:

I would like to ask how other libraries are handling material in
remote storage.
> Currently, we only have a location code for off-site material. However,
> it seems we need a way to clearly indicate that the material must be
> requested a certain amount of time in advance.
>
> Do you use the holds module for these items?  We haven't used patron logins,
> or holds because it's primarily a reference collection. Do you treat
> remote storage as a branch? So many options, please tell me what works
> best for you.

    Yes, after a fashion, we use a branch. Here's what I mean.

   - We made a library for offsite storage. Here are the Koha values we
   filled in.
      - Code = OFF
      - Name = Offsite Storage
      - OPAC Info = To get this work, please place a hold for it or contact
      the library staff.

Please allow approximately 7-10 days.

   - All the other fields are left empty so that other libraries can use
      the OFF library.

   - In the item record, we change 952 $b to OFF (Offsite Storage). It's
   the only subfield we have to change.

   - In the system preferences, we make sure both the home library and the
   current library are to be displayed (OPACLocationBranchToDisplay).

    Why this arrangement?

   - It shows that the library still owns at least one copy, and it came
   from the XXX collection in the YYY shelving location.
   - It shows that the copy has been put in storage.
   - The rollover (mouseover, balloon tag or help tag if you prefer)
   instructs how to get the work and approximately how long it ought to
   take.

We usually go to storage to retrieve materials twice a week (Mondays and
Thursdays), so an estimate of 7-10 days probably lengthens the
expectations, so that patrons are pleased, to paraphrase Scotty's "How do
think I keep my reputation as a miracle worker," when the work comes 3-4
days later instead. Of course, in the long term, the general expectations
will shorten to reflect reality.

   - The library staff will not have to record the XXX collection and YYY
   shelving location in 952 $x in case the work is reintegrated into the
   collection. It's a simple change of copying the home library into the
   current library.
   - The wording is to allow other libraries and branches to use the same
   code if they need it.

    I have to state that no procedure is perfect. But it, along with patron
education, works reasonably well, and that's usually enough for the library
staff and our patrons.

    If you have questions, please may you be encouraged to ask.

--

    気を付けて。 /ki wo tukete/ = Take care.

    -- Charles.

    Charles Kelley, MLS
    PSC 704 Box 1029
    APO AP 96338

    Charles Kelley
    Tsukimino 1-Chome 5-2
    Tsukimino Gaadenia #210
    Yamato-shi, Kanagawa-ken
    〒242-0002 JAPAN

    +1-301-741-7122 [US cell]
    +81-80-4356-2178 [JPN cell]

    mnogojazyk at aol.com [h]
    cmkelleymls at gmail.com [p]

    linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls <http://www.linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls>
    Meeting Your Information Needs. Virtually.