[Koha] ZEBRA SEARCH RETURNING "NO RESULTS MATCH YOUR SEARCH

Michael Kuhn mik at adminkuhn.ch
Wed May 12 21:50:16 NZST 2021

Hi Ndaona

 > Yes Zebra is started, it was working perfectly but from last two weeks
 > it just stopped and searching the catalogue from the staff client is
 > not working, the same problem occurred last month and we tried to
 > rebuild it to no avail up to the extent we just installed a fresh koha
 > and zebra was working until last two weeks when the same problem has
 > occurred. We have been using koha version 3.5 since 2015 and this
 > problem never happened and now we upgraded to koha version 20.05
 > running in ubuntu 20.04 and we are being hit by the same problem of
 > zebra showing "No results found-No results match your search for
 > 'kw,wrdl: clinical medicine'" Please help.

If I understand correctly, you are running Koha 20.05 on Ubuntu 20.04.
As far as I know Koha 20.05 is officially only supported for Ubuntu 18.04:

* Debian 8 (Jessie) with MySQL 5.5 (End of life)
* Debian 9 (Stretch) with MariaDB 10.1
* Debian 10 (Buster) with MariaDB 10.3
* Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic) with MariaDB 10.1
* Debian 9 (Stretch) with MySQL 8.0 (Experimental MySQL 8.0 support)

See https://koha-community.org/koha-20-05-released/

However, I would do the following:

1. Check if Zebra is really running - otherwise you won't find anything
in your catalog. The following command

$ ps -ef | grep zebra

should show some processes like the following:

hfs-koha    796      1  0 Apr15 ?        00:00:00 daemon
--name=hfs-koha-zebra --pidfiles=/var/run/koha/hfs/
--errlog=/var/log/koha/hfs/zebra-error.log
--output=/var/log/koha/hfs/zebra-output.log --verbose=1 --respawn
--delay=30 --user=hfs-koha.hfs-koha -- /bin/zebrasrv -v none,fatal,warn
-k 1024 -f /etc/koha/sites/hfs/koha-conf.xml
hfs-koha    797    796  0 Apr15 ?        00:00:00 /bin/zebrasrv -v
none,fatal,warn -k 1024 -f /etc/koha/sites/hfs/koha-conf.xml
hfs-koha   1068      1  0 Apr15 ?        00:00:00 daemon
--name=hfs-koha-indexer --errlog=/var/log/koha/hfs/indexer-error.log
--stdout=/var/log/koha/hfs/indexer.log
--output=/var/log/koha/hfs/indexer-output.log
--pidfiles=/var/run/koha/hfs/ --verbose=1 --respawn --delay=30
--user=hfs-koha.hfs-koha --
/usr/share/koha/bin/migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl -daemon -sleep 5
hfs-koha   1069   1068  0 Apr15 ?        00:01:47 /usr/bin/perl
/usr/share/koha/bin/migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl -daemon -sleep 5

2. If Zebra is not running, start it using the following command:

$ sudo koha-start-zebra

After you have started Zebra, as above, check if it is really running with

$ ps -ef | grep zebra

3. If you can't start Zebra check your log files:

$ cd /var/log/koha/<instance>
$ more zebra-error.log

There are also other log files in this directory that may give you a hint.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes: Michael