[Koha] Upgrade / migration questions

Scott Owen sowen at almaschools.net
Sat Jun 26 00:35:04 NZST 2021

Hi all,

I am in the process of upgrading my Koha instances to a newer version.

Due to the age of the current version, I am going to have to do a
database dump / restore

I am following the basic Debian install (at the wiki
https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_on_Debian  )
and have just installed the mariadb-server. (I tried the MySQL but the
install said the MySql-server package wasn't available ?? I'm assuming this
is by design)

Before I continue with the "defaults", setup Apache, and create a Koha
instance, I was wondering if there are any steps I should take at this
time, if I intend to restore a database on the instance?
Should I make sure the names are the same ?? or should I make sure to NOT
name the db instances (library name) the same ? Does it matter ?

Should I continue and do a complete Koha instance install ?? or is this not
required if I am going to dump a db onto this server?

 Thank you for any insight / advice.

-S