[Koha] Title search works, but Library catalog search fails in OPAC

Bales (US), Tasha R tasha.r.bales at boeing.com
Fri Jun 25 09:55:46 NZST 2021

Follow-up to my problem searching the OPAC for phrases containing punctuation (i.e., Electroactive polymer (EAP) actuators).  This Bywater Solutions<https://bywatersolutions.com/education/elastic-searching> article suggests that the problem is a feature of Elasticsearch.

FYI, we are using Elasticsearch 6.1.1 on its own dedicated server, and I don’t believe we’ve installed the ICU Analysis plug-in (looks like it’s required for Zebra, but I can’t tell if it’s required for Elasticsearch), which could be a factor.  I couldn’t replicate all aspects of my experience in a sandbox, although searches for phrases containing punctuation still failed in an OPAC “Library Catalog” sandbox search.  I concluded that I needed to review our configuration.

I’ve been reviewing the Koha Wiki and elastic.co documentation, and comparing to our index_config.yaml.

By chance does anyone know how to interpret the syntax below?  The documentation describes the parameters below, but I don’t see any usage of “-“ before options.  Does the option “- punctuation“ mean “yes, remove punctuation”, or “no, don’t remove punctuation”, or does the phrase refer to some additional configuration file, or perhaps it’s commented out?

      analyzer_phrase:

        tokenizer: keyword

        filter:

          - icu_folding

        char_filter:

          - punctuation

Thanks for your time and consideration,

Tasha Bales

Business Support Team | Information Services

Enterprise Services | Enterprise Operations, Finance and Sustainability