[Koha] Automated Way to Construct Field 2 from Field 1

Charles Kelley cmkelleymls at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 10:31:24 NZST 2021

Hello!

    In our latest exchange, on 2 June 2021 at 17:23 [JST], I received from
you:

Sorry, I don't seem to be authorized to respond on the list.

    Sorry about that. Have you contacted the administrators to see whether
you can so authorised?

> However, you can indeed use Marc Modification templates to create a new
> field from an existing one:
>
> Copy and Replace 242 a to 740 a
>
> You can fiddle about and add conditions (like first, or every) and even
> specify the presence of other fields and/or match criteria.
> But it doesn't sound as though you need this.

    No, it turns out we did not need this, for MarcEdit's Build a New Field
function worked wonders. All I had to do was to remove the $y subfield from
the newly created 740 fields and reformat the 740 indicators. It took far
less time than painstakingly copying, pasting, and modifying the duplicate
242 into the 740 field record by record -- just about two hours, in fact,
once I figured out the correct procedure, instead of 2-3 days.

    But I have been wondering about MARC modification templates in Koha,
what they are for, why they are needed, how they are useful, etc. I've used
a fair number of ILS's in my day but I don't recall seeing this type of
thing in them. I'm sure there are good solid reasons for them, for I will
be retiring in a year or so, and I don't want to leave features unaddressed
to my surviving and succeeding coworkers when I retire in a year or two.

    Thanks for the help.

--

    気を付けて。 /ki wo tukete/ = Take care.

    -- Charles.

    Charles Kelley, MLS
    PSC 704 Box 1029
    APO AP 96338

    Charles Kelley
    Tsukimino 1-Chome 5-2
    Tsukimino Gaadenia #210
    Yamato-shi, Kanagawa-ken
    〒242-0002 JAPAN

    +1-301-741-7122 [US cell]
    +81-80-4356-2178 [JPN cell]

    mnogojazyk at aol.com [h]
    cmkelleymls at gmail.com [p]

    linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls <http://www.linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls>
    Meeting Your Information Needs. Virtually.