[Koha] New Koha install - legacy import question

Jon Witts jwitts at queenmargarets.com
Thu Jul 29 21:50:08 NZST 2021

Hi Katrin,

Thanks for the reply... After a bit of a baptism of fire learning about
MARC records and how to use MARCEdit I think we are there...

I have imported all the records that we could from our legacy system and we
have a working Koha system now :-)

Now we just need someone to take on the huge task of auditing all of the
books and checking they are where the system thinks they are!

Jon

Jon Witts
Director of Digital Strategy

On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 at 16:31, Katrin Fischer <katrin.fischer.83 at web.de>
wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> just confirming you are on the right path there. While changing the item
> mappings in Koha is possible, I'd always recommend against it. For
> example you'd also have to change the indexing for Zebra/Elasticsearch
> to match your new fields. Converting your data to 952 is the better option.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Katrin
>
> On 16.07.21 15:57, Jon Witts wrote:
> > OK, so answering myself...
> >
> > I think I have got it to work now as best as I can... I imported the MARC
> > export from our legacy system into MARCEdit, had to then verify it and
> > remove invalid records. I could then use MARCEdit's switch fields tool
> and
> > replace subfields tools to create the required 952 items in the MARC file
> > ready for import into Koha...
> >
> > Looking pretty good at the minute; need to do some further checks on the
> > data, but it is certainly getting closer!
> >
> > Jon
> >
> > Jon Witts
> > Director of Digital Strategy
> >

> > On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 at 09:06, Jon Witts <jwitts at queenmargarets.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> I am a new Koha user and have just set up and installed a new Koha
> >> instance for our school library. We are running on a single Ubuntu
> server
> >> and I followed the Ubuntu/ Debian install documentation and installed
> from
> >> the packages.
> >>
> >> I am now trying to import our catalogue from our legacy system (Softlink
> >> Alice) and have run into some issues...
> >>
> >> In the MARC export from our legacy system the details for each item are
> >> stored in the 852 fields, specifically:
> >> * 852,k = Item Library name / location
> >> * 852,h = Item classification i.e. F for fiction or 242 for non-fiction
> >> Dewey code
> >> * 852,i = Item suffix i.e. CAR for author Frank Carr
> >> * 852,p = item barcode
> >> * 852,t = item copy number
> >>
> >> I thought that I could use the "Koha to MARC Mapping" to edit this, but
> >> after adding the new mappings in I get an error in the "MARC
> >> bibliographic framework test", specifically:
> >>

> >> *ALL items fields MUST :be mapped to the same tag,and they must all be
> in
> >> the 10 (items) tab*
> >>
> >> On the "Koha to MARC Mapping" page it states "If you make any change to
> >> the mappings, you must ask your administrator to run
> >> misc/batchRebuildBiblioTables.pl.", however when I run
> >> the /usr/share/koha/bin/batchRebuildBiblioTables.pl script I get the
> >> following errors:
> >>

> >> *unable to locate Koha configuration file koha-conf.xml at
> >> /usr/share/koha/lib/C4/Context.pm line 188.Use of uninitialized value in
> >> concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/koha/lib/C4/Templates.pm line
> >> 154.Use of uninitialized value $db_name in concatenation (.) or string
> [...]

 <http://queenmargarets.com/>
01904 727600 queenmargarets.com
<http://queenmargarets.com/>
Queen Margaret's, Escrick Park, York YO19 6EU

*Come and be inspired... * Let us arrange a personalised virtual tour
tailored to your requirements and chat to our Head and find out what a QM
education can offer your daughter. Visit
*queenmargarets.com/admissions/book-a-visit
<http://queenmargarets.com/admissions/book-a-visit>*, call 01904 727630 or
email admissions at queenmargarets.com <mailto:admissions at queenmargarets.com>
to find out more.

<https://www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk/schools/queen-margarets-york/BA324CF#tab_review>