[Koha] Koha Concurrent and Simultaneous Use of Records

Charles Kelley cmkelleymls at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 13:32:32 NZST 2021

Hi, David!

    In our latest exchange, on 9 July 2021 at 9:42 [JST], I received from
you:

Koha uses the "The ever popular do-nothing-approach".

> In theory, this is problematic and certainly bothers me, but in practice I
> think it's fairly rare that two staff members are working on the same
> record at the same time. Locking and lock timeouts come with a lot of
> complexity, and I think the majority of libraries would actually prefer
> risk accidental overwrites rather than lock contention and session timeouts.
>
> I would love to see a locking feature added, but I don't know if it's
> anyone's priority at the moment.

    It's disappointing that there doesn't seem to be a locking feature in
Koha. At least in practice, simultaneous use of records is rare or less
frequent in my library. But there was an incident last week when a locking
feature would have been useful, it occurred to me in retrospect. I too
thought of locking timeouts. After all, I wouldn't want a record to be
locked after hours and hours of disuse.

    I guess I'll be filing another feature request if such a request is not
already on file.

    Thanks for the response.

--

    気を付けて。 /ki wo tukete/ = Take care.

    -- Charles.

    Charles Kelley, MLS
    PSC 704 Box 1029
    APO AP 96338

    Charles Kelley
    Tsukimino 1-Chome 5-2
    Tsukimino Gaadenia #210
    Yamato-shi, Kanagawa-ken
    〒242-0002 JAPAN

    +1-301-741-7122 [US cell]
    +81-80-4356-2178 [JPN cell]

    mnogojazyk at aol.com [h]
    cmkelleymls at gmail.com [p]

    linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls <http://www.linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls>
    Meeting Your Information Needs. Virtually.