[Koha] Koha Concurrent and Simultaneous Use of Records

Charles Kelley cmkelleymls at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 10:23:55 NZST 2021

Hi, all!

    My library is preparing to migrate our Koha ILSA to the cloud. For
reasons I shan't bore everyone with, I have a question about simultaneous
and concurrent use of records: What happens if two or more parties try to
access a bib. record or patron record at the same time?

    In my experience with other ILSs, there are several ways to handle such
simultaneous use:

   - To lock the record when the first record accesses and queue up the
   rest for access in succession.
      - Party 1 works on the record and finishes -- the record is released.
      Every other party is blocked until the record is released.
      - Party 2 then works on the record and finishes -- the record is
      released. Every other party is blocked until the record is released.
      - Party 3 then works on the record and finishes -- the record is
      released. Every other party is blocked until the record is released.

   - To timestamp changes and then incorporate the changes based on the
   timestamp of the changes in a queued batch operation. A risk of data
   corruption.

   - The ever popular do-nothing-approach: to let multiple parties work on
   the same record simultaneously in real time, incorporating changes as they
   are submitted in real; another risk of data corruption.

    So if I may repeat my question: How does Koha handle simultaneous use
of records?

    Many thanks, everyone!

--

    気を付けて。 /ki wo tukete/ = Take care.

    -- Charles.

    Charles Kelley, MLS
    PSC 704 Box 1029
    APO AP 96338

    Charles Kelley
    Tsukimino 1-Chome 5-2
    Tsukimino Gaadenia #210
    Yamato-shi, Kanagawa-ken
    〒242-0002 JAPAN

    +1-301-741-7122 [US cell]
    +81-80-4356-2178 [JPN cell]

    mnogojazyk at aol.com [h]
    cmkelleymls at gmail.com [p]

    linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls <http://www.linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls>
    Meeting Your Information Needs. Virtually.