[Koha] [EXTERNAL] Re: Advice for how to update huge numbers of bib records, for former Millennium user

Eric Phetteplace ephetteplace at cca.edu
Fri Jan 22 12:27:25 NZDT 2021

There's an additional step which ferries the data from a report into the
batch modification tool (Tools > Batch item/record modification). For bibs
or authorities, you need to create a MARC modification template
<https://bywatersolutions.com/education/monday-minutes-marc-modification-templates>
describing
your changes first. It's a relatively new feature but our 19.11 Koha lets
you perform batch operations on the visible records displaying on the
report results page, but that maxes out at a thousand records. You could
also save the visible records into a list and then perform batch operations
on the list. That might be more foolproof since you have a stored record of
what was modified.

If you need to modify more than 1000 records, I think you have to download
a list of the record identifiers and then feed that file into the batch
modifications tool. If you just make your report's SELECT statement only
retrieve the identifier column (itemnumber, biblionumber, etc.) that works,
but it also makes the reports less understandable for others. You could
download the report CSV and then trim the non-identifier columns. You could
also operate on records in smaller batches e.g. a few hundred a time. But
something like "modify these 40,000 bibs" is probably always a multistep
process. We're small (90,000 items total) so maybe a larger library can
chime in on whether there's a better approach at scale.

Best,

ERIC PHETTEPLACE Systems Librarian, Libraries (he/him)

ephetteplace at cca.edu | o 510.594.3660 (cca)

5212 Broadway | Oakland, CA | 94618

CCA is situated on the traditional unceded lands of the Ohlone peoples.

Black-owned bookstores in Oakland: Ashay by the Bay
<https://ashaybythebay.com/>, Marcus Books
<https://www.facebook.com/marcus.books/>