[Koha] Advice for how to update huge numbers of bib records, for former Millennium user

Eric Phetteplace ephetteplace at cca.edu
Fri Jan 22 08:48:23 NZDT 2021

Hi Tasha,

We were also a former Millennium library that migrated to Koha, though it's
been a while (migrated in 2016). Reports are essentially Millennium's
"Lists" but they require more skill to create. So your example would need
to be a SQL Report filtering according to the properties you've laid out
(e.g. biblios not linked to the orders table, with item location in (X, Y,
Z), biblio.author != 'AUTHOR', etc.).

I hosted workshops (here's a recording of one <https://youtu.be/K0zTu4qZ88c>)
with our catalogers and other technicians on learning basic SQL and I write
the more sophisticated reports for them. You can use runtime parameters to
make the reports a little more flexible so that staff can adjust them to
changing needs but they're not going to be able to accomplish much on their
own without an understanding of SQL. I never use the guided reports in Koha
and my memory of the few times I tried was that you couldn't accomplish
anything substantial, but then again I prefer working in SQL anyways
as it's so much more powerful than abstractions like Guided Reports or
Create Lists.

Best,

ERIC PHETTEPLACE Systems Librarian, Libraries (he/him)

ephetteplace at cca.edu | o 510.594.3660 (cca)

5212 Broadway | Oakland, CA | 94618

CCA is situated on the traditional unceded lands of the Ohlone peoples.

Black-owned bookstores in Oakland: Ashay by the Bay
<https://ashaybythebay.com/>, Marcus Books
<https://www.facebook.com/marcus.books/>