[Koha] Upgrade procedure

Lennon Mazonde lennon at kohasupport.com
Tue Aug 24 23:02:04 NZST 2021

Hi Tom,

> a) we assume that if we wanted to move from 19.11 to 20.11, we would have to do it in two stages, i.e. first to 20.05 and subsequently to 20.11 - is this a correct assumption?; and
It should automatically upgrade the missing versions (first 20.05 then
20.11). I don't think you will need to specify the versions yourself.

> 	b) does the upgrade procedure amend the database schema, etc, for multiple instances that are using the same Koha Common installation?

Yes, the upgrade will also automatically update the database schema for
each of your instances if you installed Koha using packages.

I am not familiar with Debian Buster (I run my servers on Ubuntu Server
20.04LTS) so I can't provide specific instructions for that platform.
Here are some suggestions to get you started (I'll probably leave out
something, so hopefully you'll get more responses from the list):

    1. Make a backup of your data. I suggest you backup your entire SQL
    database if you have any other applications running on your server,
    and any other crucial data that you can't afford to lose. Then make
    separate backups of each of your Koha instance's databases and
    config files. In Ubuntu Server, you would run the following
    (everything in red is a placeholder):
    2. To backup your entire database: *mysqldump -u username -p
    --all-databases > all-databases.sql*
    3. To backup your Koha database and configs, run this command for
    each of your instances (you can find the backups in
    /var/spool/koha/library/): *sudo koha-dump library*
    4. Copy the backup files offline or on a cloud storage service like
    Google Drive in case somethings goes awry and you can't access your
    server.
    5. Update: *sudo apt update*
    6. Upgrade: *sudo apt upgrade*
    7. You should see koha-common as one of the packages available for
    upgrading. During the upgrade, you should also see the schema being
    upgraded for each of your Koha instances. If this is not the case,
    then run:*sudo koha-upgrade-schemalibrary1 library2 etc.*

Remember to replace the commands above with Debian-specific syntax. I
hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Lennon Mazonde
www.kohasupport.com