[Koha] CKJ and Other Non-Roman Searching

Charles Kelley cmkelleymls at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 16:14:06 NZST 2020

Hello, all!

    Please excuse the late response.

    In our latest exchange, on 12 Sept. 2020 at 9:01 AM, Nicolas Legrand <
nicolas.legrand at bulac.fr> wrote:

A good day, אהלן, こんにちは,

> Ho, mine also :).

    8-)

Been there.

[skip, skip, skip]

> Tuning Zebra to search CKJ or languages written with arabic script was a real
> pain with Zebra, it is a no brainer with Elastic Search. With the ICU module
> enabled, it works very well for CKJ and handles glyphe similarities. For
> example, the Library of Congress catalogues Farsi with alef maksura U+0649
> instead of yeh U+06CC. We imported the farsi records from the Library of
> Congress and we were unable to find the documents searching with a farsi
> keyboard yielding the letter yeh. You can parameter Zebra to handle this
> and say U+0649 = U+06CC. With Elastic Search and ICU, you don't have to,
> it just works. We lost some day the possibilities to search CKJ with Zebra
> and didn't understand how to get it back. Zebra is certainly a very good
> search engine. But it's weird and hard to tune. We don't even have to
> ask ourselves how to tweak Elastic Search to do it. It just works.
>
> Note that for Chinese, enabling QueryAutoTruncate with Elastic Search may lead
> to weird results when you type a full chinese name or title. As of 18.05
> this is the case, I didn't check yet if this improved since then. We enabled
> it only when “*” is added at the end of a word

    Ugh! Thank you for your account. It will help us as we further
implement Kona on our site. We'll be following one of the first rules of
software updating: Update or upgrade on a copy.

> Best regards, יאללה ביי, それでは、また,

    You, too.

--

    気を付けて。 /ki wo tukete/ = Take care.

    -- Charles.

    Charles Kelley, MLS
    PSC 704 Box 1029
    APO AP 96338

    Charles Kelley
    Tsukimino 1-Chome 5-2
    Tsukimino Gaadenia #210
    Yamato-shi, Kanagawa-ken
    〒242-0002 JAPAN

    +1-301-741-7122 [US cell]
    +81-80-4356-2178 [JPN cell]

    mnogojazyk at aol.com [h]
    cmkelleymls at gmail.com [p]

    linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls <http://www.linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls>
    Meeting Your Information Needs. Virtually.