[Koha] CHAT: A gift to the world from Tom Lehrer

King, Fred Fred.King at Medstar.net
Sat Oct 24 04:47:18 NZDT 2020

(I posted this to MEDLIB-L, so apologies to the Koha medical librarians and others who receive duplicate e-mails.)

Esteemed Colleagues,

Chances are that if you are of A Certain Age or a computer geek (I'm both, so don't take umbrage), you grew up listening and quite often memorizing the songs of Tom Lehrer. I am delighted to say that not only is he still alive at the age of 92, he has also posted the following on his web site, https://tomlehrersongs.com/:

   I, Tom Lehrer, and the Tom Lehrer Trust 2000, hereby grant the following permission:
   All the lyrics on this website, whether published or unpublished, copyrighted or uncopyrighted, may be downloaded and used in any manner whatsoever, without requiring any further permission from me or any payment to me or to anyone else.
   Some lyrics written by Tom Lehrer to copyrighted music by others are included herein, but of course such music may not be used without permission of the copyright owners. (The translated songs may be found in their original languages on YouTube.)
   In other words, all the lyrics herein should be treated as though they were in the public domain.

It continues, but that's the gist of it. I knew all of the songs that appeared on his albums, plus a few extras like the Subway Song, but a lot of them were new to me. The site shuts down at the end of 2024, so download them while you can!

And if you're unfamiliar with Tom Lehrer, see https://www.youtube.com/user/6funswede. NOW!

(My favorite, I think, is the Irish Ballad, which I learned when I was maybe nine years old-My parents had his original record. How about you?)

Fred King, MSLS, AHIP
fred.king at medstar.net
202-877-6670
ORCID 0000-0001-5266-0279
MedStar Authors Catalog: http://medstarauthors.org

Suddenly virologists are cool. This is a bad sign.
--Paul Offit

MedStar Health is a not-for-profit, integrated healthcare delivery system, the largest in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region. Nationally recognized for clinical quality in heart, orthopedics, cancer and GI.

IMPORTANT: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain information that is private, confidential, or protected by attorney-client or other privilege. If you received this e-mail in error, please delete it from your system without copying it and notify sender by reply e-mail, so that our records can be corrected... Thank you.

Help conserve valuable resources - only print this email if necessary.