[Koha] ElasticSearch Fails in Reindexing

Charles Kelley cmkelleymls at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 12:16:19 NZDT 2020

Hello, all!

    I manage a small library. Most of the collection is in CJK languages,
and I have been recataloging the collection from scratch. Because of a
myriad of problems in searching non-Roman writing systems, we installed
ElasticSearch. Finally, we could search the CJK-language catalogued
records! Mind you, this extended to Russian, Greek, and other writing
systems, so we were pleased.

    Then something happened and the indexing failed in the authority
indexes. Mind you, we can search by author in the regular catalog but
cannot search in the authority records.

    I have reindexed the zebra indexes and I have submitted the following
commands in order to reindex the ElasticSearch indexes.

#sudo koha-rebuild-zebra -f -v libr
#sudo koha-elasticsearch --rebuild -d -v libr
#sudo koha-elasticsearch --rebuild -v libr

    Both commands end up in failure, the routine stops (aborts or ends, I
don't know), and the indexes are lost. The actual error is

Something went wrong rebuilding indexes for libr

    I see quite a few error messages, to wit:

Use of uninitialized value $sub6 in pattern match (m//) at
/usr/share/koha/lib/Koha/SearchEngine/Elasticsearch.pm line 592.

    Right before the routine ends and returns us to the OS prompt, we see
additional error messages, to wit:

Use of uninitialized $tag in hash element at
/usr/share/perl5/MARC/Record.pm line 202.
Use of uninitialized $tag in regexp compilation at
/usr/share/perl5/MARC/Record.pm line 206.
Use of uninitialized $tag in hash element at
/usr/share/perl5/MARC/Record.pm line 207.
Can't call method "tag" on an undefined value at
/usr/share/koha/lib/C4/Heading.pm line 71

    That's when

Something went wrong rebuilding indexes for libr

    happens. Can anyone tell us what's gone wrong and, more to the point,
how to repair it?

    Koha 20.05
    Debian Stretch 9.13

    Many thanks.

--

    気を付けて。 /ki wo tukete/ = Take care.

    -- Charles.

    Charles Kelley, MLS
    PSC 704 Box 1029
    APO AP 96338

    Charles Kelley
    Tsukimino 1-Chome 5-2
    Tsukimino Gaadenia #210
    Yamato-shi, Kanagawa-ken
    〒242-0002 JAPAN

    +1-301-741-7122 [US cell]
    +81-80-4356-2178 [JPN cell]

    mnogojazyk at aol.com [h]
    cmkelleymls at gmail.com [p]

    linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls <http://www.linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls>
    Meeting Your Information Needs. Virtually.