[Koha] Restrictions on 9XX Fields

Charles Kelley cmkelleymls at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 16:29:29 NZDT 2020

Hi, all!

    I'd like to thank everyone for the help I have received in the past.

    My library would like to begin tracking changes we make to the catalog
records. I already know Koha does keep track of changes, for when I click
on "Modification Logs", I see a rich history.

    What I had in mind was something that we did in another library job of
mine: rededicated a 9XX field to log a brief synopsis of the changes we
made. Mostly just the cataloger's name or initials, timestamp, and a few
words, e.g.,

949  \\ $a Kelley, Charles. $b 2020-02-28 $c Added subject field. $c
Romanized Cyrillic title.
949  \\ $a Sloshkin, Victoria. $b 2020-02-29 $c Added editor [700]. $c
Added series title.
949 \\ $a Watanabe, Junko. $b 2020-02-30 $c Fixed title indicators.
949 \\ $a Watanabe, Junko. $b 2020-02-31 $c OK.

    Nothing more involved or detailed than the illustrations. If we really
need the detail, we'll look at the modification logs.

    I know the 9XX fields are locally defined, but as far as I can
determine, Koha uses the 942, 952, and 999 fields and they are to be
avoided. Are there other 9XX fields that we ought to avoid? I have added to
the avoidance list the CANMARC fields and the other fields in the Koha
default framework.

    I understand I'll have to add the brief change log field (949 in my
examples)and its subfields to the frameworks.

    Many thanks for your help.

--
    -- Charles.

    Charles Kelley, MLS
    PSC 704 Box 1029
    APO AP 96338

    Charles Kelley
    5-2 Tsukimino 1-Chome #210
    Yamato-shi, Kanagawa-ken
    〒242-0002 JAPAN

    +1-301-741-7122 [US cell]
    +81-80-4714-5490 [JPN cell]

    mnogojazyk at aol.com [h]
    cmkelleymls at gmail.com [p]

    linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls <http://www.linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls>
    Meeting Your Information Needs. Virtually.