[Koha] Koha 20.05, Ubuntu 18.04 and MariaDB

Cindy Murdock Ames cmurdock at ccfls.org
Thu Jul 30 05:05:00 NZST 2020

I've been running 19.11.05 for several months now with MariaDB 10.4.13 with
no issues AFAIK.  I upgraded a test server to 20.05 and got some errors
from updatedatabase.pl like this:

DBD::mysql::db do failed: Row size too large. The maximum row size for the
used table type, not counting BLOBs, is 8126. This includes storage
overhead, check the manual. You have to change some columns to TEXT or
BLOBs
[for Statement "ALTER TABLE branches DROP COLUMN branchprinter"] at
/usr/share/koha/intranet/cgi-bin/installer/data/mysql/updatedatabase.pl
line 21074.

After some investigating I found that our database (imported from 3.22 in
April) had a row_format of "Compact" on all tables and newer versions of
the database have a row_format of "Dynamic".  I expect this is cruft from
our database that has been imported into new versions of Koha several
times, since we've been using Koha for 10+ years.  Anyway, on my test
server I changed ours to Dynamic and it was able to update without any
errors after that, but I haven't yet upgraded our production server to it.
Probably no one else will run into this, but I thought I'd just put it out
into the ether in case anyone else runs into this issue.

Cindy

Cindy Murdock Ames
IT Services Director
Meadville Public Library | CCFLS