[Koha] FW: Koha on Digital Ocean (Was: Re: Installation on so-called virtual server at external internet service provider IONOS)

Alvaro Cornejo cornejo.alvaro at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 02:52:30 NZDT 2020

Hi Fred

In my basic understanding -might be, awfully, wrong-:

1) Data encryption:
There are several levels of data encryption you can set up.
 -) Apache: You define this in apache config and depends on the ssl
certificate you get for your website.
-) Mysql encryption. You can encrypt data in mysql. This is not set by
default since usually you need a "middleware/software" to do this. I guess
koha does not have the ability to do it.
-) Disk level: You can encrypt your whole disk and work with it. This
mainly works for the initial access to the drive. Once system started
encryption is transparent.

2) Virus:
Virus usually propagate through email. They usually does not affect the
linux box itself, but use your box to propagate to other machines when
receiving/processing emails. If you use a local MTA -email server- in your
koha box and process emails from/to external users, it is recommended to
install an antivirus program on the linux box so any virus is
detected/removed -hopefully- before reaching the final recipient. If you do
only process localhost emails (root, your server user) it is not really
necessary.

For other kind of attacks, the way to fight them is to ensure your system
is always updated and that you have closed any door -port/service/listener-
you don't use and secure the ones you do use like denying remote access to
root user to any console/database, etc.

Hope this clarifies a little your life and have not messed it more ;)

Regards

Alvaro

Envíe y Reciba Datos y mensajes de Texto (SMS) hacia y desde cualquier
celular y Nextel
en el Perú, México y en mas de 180 paises. Use aplicaciones 2 vias via SMS
y GPRS online
              Visitenos en www.perusms.com