[Koha] Red Hat 8, installing dependencies

dcook at prosentient.com.au dcook at prosentient.com.au
Mon Dec 14 12:15:49 NZDT 2020

Hi Tasha,

It's great to hear that you're trying to install Koha! However, if I were you, I wouldn't bother with that old wiki page, as it's probably going to confuse more than help.

Typically, the Koha community supports Koha installations on Debian and Ubuntu operating systems, but there are some of us who run Koha on openSUSE, Red Hat, Fedora, etc. We are rare though. Wherever possible, it's best to use Debian/Ubuntu as you'll get the best, supported experience that way, but I know in a corporate environment that you're often limited to only using Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Part of the reason your email stood out to me is that I am in the process of migrating a non-Koha Perl application from RHEL 6 to RHEL 8, so I'm already in this headspace.

In all honesty, if I were you, I'd try to find a vendor that is willing - for a fee - to install Koha on your local RHEL 8 system. You can find more information at https://koha-community.org/support/paid-support/. We have installed Koha on RHEL for libraries with restricted corporate environments like you describe. I am sure there are vendors in Canada and the USA who have done it too who could help you out. Feel free to email me separately about that if you want to discuss that further.

--

If you are committed to doing it yourself without paid help, then it's important to think about Koha as a multi-component system: Linux OS, Apache httpd web server, MySQL database, Perl application, Zebra indexing engine.

You've already got your Linux OS (RHEL 8), and you'll be able to use the Apache httpd web server and MySQL database from the Red Hat repositories. The difficulty will be with the Perl application (Koha proper) and Zebra.

Looking at https://www.indexdata.com/resources/software/zebra/, there is a "Redhat" download option, but it does not look like the RHEL packages have been maintained. You could contact Indexdata to get them to publish new packages for RHEL 8. Alternatively, it looks like they do provide some for CentOS 8, which is *currently*  compatible with RHEL 8: http://ftp.indexdata.dk/pub/zebra/redhat/centos/8/README. I haven't used that but that would be my first step *before* trying to build Zebra from source.

As for the Perl application (Koha proper), it's easier than ever to install dependencies thanks to the "cpanfile" provided with Koha. It provides a list of ~180 Perl dependencies, which you can install using a tool called "cpanminus" (https://metacpan.org/pod/App::cpanminus). Unfortunately for you, these dependencies need to be fetched over the Internet from the "CPAN" (Comprehensive Perl Archive Network). However, perhaps you'd be able to talk to your IT about setting up a local offline mirror of CPAN. You can use the "minicpan" tool for that: https://metacpan.org/pod/distribution/CPAN-Mini/bin/minicpan. I have used that tool before in restricted corporate environments for Perl applications.

Now that sounds easier than it actually is. You mentioned that you had some trouble installing some packages like "ImageMagick-devel". You need "*-devel" packages when you're building code from course (like you'd be doing using "cpanminus" and the "cpanfile" via "minicpan"), as they provide interfaces to lower level software tools (e.g. "ImageMagic" without the -devel). Typically, you discover which "-devel" packages you need when particular Perl dependencies fail to install.

If you're successful with all of this, then there is the task of setting up a Zebra "service" and Koha "cronjobs".

This also all assumes that you're not use SELinux security on RHEL 8 as well. That is a layer of complexity that is too difficult to explain in this space.

--

Alternatively, you could try running Docker containers - since Docker should be available in RHEL 8, or Virtual Machines on your RHEL 8 machine, and have those containers or virtual machines run Koha on Debian/Ubuntu. But that adds a different layer of complexity.

--

Hopefully that was helpfully comprehensive rather than terrifyingly comprehensive ; ). For years, I have been thinking of putting together RPM packages that could be installed on Red Hat or openSUSE, but it would require more resources than I have available, so I've been in the gradual process of switching to only using Debian/Ubuntu for Koha wherever possible.

But I appreciate that you might not have that option. Due to your limitations, I think your best bet is to get a paid support vendor to help you, but you can also try what I've suggested and try working through it here. You probably won't be able to receive much more than general assistance, since the majority of people use Debian/Ubuntu, but you can always try.

Bon courage!

David Cook
Software Engineer
Prosentient Systems