[Koha] Elasticsearch 6 on Koha 20.05 - Reindexing Failure

Craig Butosi cbutosi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 04:07:34 NZDT 2020

Hi all,

Running Koha 20.05.06 on Ubuntu 18.04 with Elasticsearch 6.8.13:

I have 318 bib records; ~420,000 authority records

When running the following reindexing command (authorities only):

koha-elasticsearch --rebuild -d -v -a library2

I get the following error just before it commits 10,000 records:

[27771] Indexing authorities
[27771] 1000 records processed
[27771] 2000 records processed
[27771] 3000 records processed
[27771] 4000 records processed
[27771] 5000 records processed
[27771] Committing 5000 records...
[27771] Commit complete
[27771] 6000 records processed
[27771] 7000 records processed
[27771] 8000 records processed
[27771] 9000 records processed
[27771] 10000 records processed
[27771] Committing 5000 records...
Use of uninitialized value $tag in hash element at
/usr/share/perl5/MARC/Record.pm line 202.
Use of uninitialized value $tag in regexp compilation at
/usr/share/perl5/MARC/Record.pm line 206.
Use of uninitialized value $tag in hash element at
/usr/share/perl5/MARC/Record.pm line 207.
Can't call method "tag" on an undefined value at
/usr/share/koha/lib/C4/Heading.pm line 71.
Something went wrong rebuilding indexes for library2

At this point, I can confirm that 5000 authority records have been indexed,
but that's about 415,000 short :S

A couple other things:

   - My node is running when I curl localhost:9200. Top also shows ES
   running.
   - I have the ICU analysis plugin installed as well.

Never seen this error before. I was running ES 5.x but upgraded to 6.x
recently. Could the error above be related to 6.x? If so, can the errors be
resolved?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Craig Butosi, MA, MLIS, B Mus (Hons)
Library: library.craigbutosi.ca