[Koha] Use of indicators in field 245

Giacomo Visini Giacomo.VISINI at divaantwerp.be
Thu Sep 19 02:58:16 NZST 2019

Hi Philippe,

Thanks for the reply!

The second indicator in field 245, according to the MARC 21 rules, should indeed be used to skip possible articles (i.e. The, Le, La, Les, De, Het, etc.) when indexing. But in Koha, or in our case anyway, these indicators don’t seem to be working. Most of our records have the indicators filled in, but it doesn’t affect indexation. No characters are skipped, even if the second indicator is filled in.

So my question is: what’s the point of filling in these indicators, if they don’t do what they are supposed to do?

Are there any libraries in the Koha community who use the indicators of 245? And do the indicators do what they’re supposed to do?

Again, thank you for any reply.

Kind regards,

Giacomo Visini I Bibliotheekmedewerker
DIVA, Antwerp Home of Diamonds