[Koha] Creating Lists of Item Numbers

Charles Kelley cmkelleymls at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 13:53:25 NZDT 2019

Hello, all!

    In a recent exchange, on 14 Oct 2019, at 07:31 AM, Mark Alexander wrote:

I believe that generating of lists is usually done with reports.
> See this section of the Koha manual:
>
> https://koha-community.org/manual/19.05/en/html/reports.html
>
> Also see this page, which shows many sample reports:
>
> https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/SQL_Reports_Library

    You're right! I found the section and I'll be studying it later today.

    In our latest exchange, on 14 Oct 2019, at 10:05 AM, Eric Phetteplace
wrote:

> In particular, the SQL you will need is likely:
>
> SELECT itemnumber
> FROM items
> WHERE location IS NULL OR location = ''
>
> That will give you a simple list of item IDs that do not have an associated
> shelving location ("location" in the database's terms). If you're on a
> modern version of Koha, there will even be a "batch modify" button in the
> report results which takes you to exactly the Batch item modification tool
> with all of these items ready to be bulk edited.

    This really helped. I was able to add the missing shelving location.
All is good. Between Eric's SQL statements and Mark's reference to the
report sections of the documentation, I'll be in good stead, I think.

    Thanks, too, for suggesting the NULL data check as well as the empty
string check. So often one can miss checking both, especially given the
structure and storage of SQL databases. I had forgotten about that.

    Thanks to you both!

--
    -- Charles.

    Charles Kelley, MLS
    Data Analyst (Library and Information Services)
    SAIC
    Reston, VA, USA

    1-301-741-7122 [US cell]
    011-81-80-4714-5490 [JPN cell]

    mnogojazyk at aol.com [h]
    cmkelleymls at gmail.com [p]

    linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls <http://www.linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls>
    Meeting Your Information Needs. Virtually.