[Koha] Multilingual Searching and ICU Chains

Charles Kelley cmkelleymls at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 08:39:43 NZDT 2019

Hello, all!

    I am developing a catalog of multilingual, multiscript materials:
Arabic, Bengali, Burmese, Chinese, English, French, German, Japanese,
Korean, Mongolian, Russian, Vietnamese, to name but a few. Since both Koha
and MarcEdit are UTF8, I can enter the cataloging records and edit them in
their appropriate script.

    What I cannot do is to search them. I have seen on the Koha Community
wiki is that ICU chains have to be configured. Here's the link:
https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/ICU_Chains_Library. I also found an
exchange about this:
https://lists.katipo.co.nz/public/koha/2012-January/031714.html.

    Is one to infer that the ICU chain has to be configured for each
writing system? Are there other multilingual libraries that have
implemented multilingual, multiscript searching in Koha and how did they do
so?

    Many thanks for your help in this matter.

--
    -- Charles.

    Charles Kelley, MLS
    PSC 704 Box 1029
    APO AP 96338

    Charles Kelley
    1-5-2 Tsukimino #210
    Yamato-shi, Kanagawa-ken, 〒242-0002
    JAPAN

    1-301-741-7122 [US cell]
    011-81-80-4714-5490 [JPN cell]

    mnogojazyk at aol.com [h]
    cmkelleymls at gmail.com [p]

    linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls <http://www.linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls>
    Meeting Your Information Needs. Virtually.