[Koha] Hardware Koha 18.11.03

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 27 06:14:49 NZDT 2019

Greetings,

200 administrative users?! Simultaneously? If so, I would go with more than
4GB. As has always been said, more memory is never bad. However, I do think
the 2 CPU, 50GB Drive Space VM would otherwise do. Your problem will not be
hosting the data. Your problem will be accessing the data.

I typically assume 100MB per simultaneous user + 2GB for OS + 10KB* items
(not biblios, items) * 4.

It has generally been my experience there is a 100MB footprint for a Koha
access with default Apache, no special tweaks. And while the memory leaks do
recover over time, they don't recover quickly. But who has the time to
figure out how to configure Apache even more optimally?!

And while you probably can run your OS for less than 2GB, OS's do strange
things like kill processes when it starts getting tight on memory and you
don't have swap configured.

The 10KB I believe is the maximum size of a MARC record. Ours typically run
more like 4-5K, but we have some that are large. The 4 factor accounts for a
full reindex, given that Zebra + MySQL + Both trying to cache. Yes, it's
overkill. But you want some room, not squeeze and barely hobble along.

To summarize with your variable value plugged in:
Users: 100MB * 200 = 2000MB ~= 2GB
OS: 2GB
Data: 10KB * 50000 * 4 ~= 2GB

I would recommend more like 6GB, and then if 200
checkouts/searches/whatever's happened simultaneously, you will have no
issues. You will, however, find that VM Host providers tend to like powers
of 2, so you may need to jump to 8, which is way more than you will need.

Now, if you aren't going to have 200 people accessing your Koha all at the
same second (i.e. okay, everyone, click search in 3, 2, 1... NOW *the sound
of 200 simultaneous clicks*), but rather just have than many administrative
users, and only 20 are on duty at any given time, then plug in 20, not 200.
And then you'll see that you probably will cope okay with 4GB. You'll need
to also consider patron OPAC searches into this equation too.

Just my suggestions.

GPML,
Mark Tompsett