[Koha] Holds and one day loans

Magnus Enger magnus at enger.priv.no
Wed Mar 20 01:55:31 NZDT 2019

Kia ora, dear Community!

Here's a tricky one, at least it has proven so to me...

Say a library has two kinds of books:

- One-day-loan - loans that are due at 23:59 on the day you borrow
them and that can not be reserved/put a hold on
- Regular loan - can be borrowed for e.g. 28 days and can be reserved

Item-level holds are not allowed
On shelf holds are "if all unavailable"

RecordA has two items:
- Item1 is a One-day-loan, sitting on the shelf
- Item2 is a Regular loan, on loan to someone

Question 1: How can we allow someone to put a hold on this record,
when Item1 is sitting on the shelf? (It's like Item1 should not be
taken into account when checking if "all" are unavailable.)

Then we change the situation a bit:

- Item1 is a One-day-loan, on loan to someone
- Item2 is a Regular loan, on loan to someone
- There is at least one hold on the record

Question 2: If Item1 is returned, how can we stop that from triggering
the "there is a hold on this". One-day-loans should never be used to
fill holds.

In addition:

- Item1 is a One-day-loan, sitting on the shelf
- Item2 is a Regular loan, sitting on the shelf
= It should not be possible to place a hold on this record.

Anyone got a solution to all of this? I'd love to hear it!

Best regards,
Magnus Enger
Libriotech, Norway