[Koha] Koha performance and 6 million records

Michael Kuhn mik at adminkuhn.ch
Mon Mar 4 00:15:59 NZDT 2019

Hi

We are currently running Koha 18.11 on Debian GNU/Linux 9 (virtual
machine with 2 processors, 4 GB RAM) and 50'000 bibliographic records in
a MariaDB database, using Zebra, and of course Plack and Memcached.
There are only about 160 users. We would like to add 6 million
bibliographic records (metadata of articles) that before were only
indexed in the Solr index of a proprietary discovery system, but not in
Koha itself.

Since we are lacking experience in such large masses of data we would
like to investigate about the consequences:

* Will the overall performance and especially the retrieval experience
suffer a lot? (note there are only 160 users) We're afraid it will...

* If yes, is there a way to improve the retrieval experience? For
example changing from a virtual machine to a dedicated or physical host?
Adding more resp. faster processors, more RAM? Using SSD disks instead
of SAS? Changing from Zebra to Elasticsearch? Or will we need to
implement another discovery system, like Vufind (which is using Solr
Energy)?

Any tips or hints are very much appreciated!

Best wishes: Michael