[Koha] [EXTERNAL] Awards location?

Hernandez, Heather heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Wed Jun 12 04:56:09 NZST 2019

Hi, Jesse--

I would hesitate to put a 650 in a record for the award that an item won,
since that item wouldn't be *about* the award--if I wanted a 6XX field for
an award, I'd be tempted to use a 655 instead.  Our collection is very
different, being a special/museum library, but we're having good luck using
tags for awards, reading lists on which an item's appeared, etc.  We still
put a note into the bibliographic record about this (and, yes, a 586 is the
right note for an award, and it is searched by keyword), but then add tags
for the award, reading list, etc.  You can see lots of ours in our tag
cloud:
https://keys.bywatersolutions.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-tags.pl
This has an added benefit of users being able to also apply tags for such
awards, reading lists, etc.

Alternatively, public lists might be useful, but we haven't tried that
since we have few items in our collection that have received particular
awards, mentions, etc.

Another approach when there are lots of items for a particular award might
be to create a bibliographic record for it with 856 links to your catalog
records for the books.  We have an example of this where we created a
bibliographic record for a popular reading list with 856 links to our
catalog records for the titles on the list, in order--it's kind of a dense
record, but it works pretty well.  The 856 links for, e.g., an annual award
could have, e.g., 856 fields like this (completely made up example):
856 4 0 $3 2017, Koha catalog design for beginners $u https://koha...
856 4 0 $3 2018, Why I love authority records $u https://koha...
856 4 0 $3 2019, Putting the advanced into the advanced bibliographic
editor $u https://koha...
This bibliographic record could have the 6XX field for the award, 245 of
the award, etc., and the records being linked to have their 586 fields,
too.  This would be pretty easy to maintain since you just add the
appropriate 856 link(s) for the newly awarded items as they're cataloged,
and you wouldn't have to create a new authority type to search the award
note field, worry so much about consistency of the format/wording of this
authority controlled-ish note in the 586 field, etc.

Here's our example record of this type of record:
https://keys.bywatersolutions.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=35022

Hope this is helpful!  Cheerio,
h2
Heather Hernandez (she, her, hers)
Technical Services Librarian
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Research Center
2 Marina Blvd., Bldg. E, 3rd floor, San Francisco, CA  94123-1284
415-561-7032, heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Library catalog: http://keys.bywatersolutions.com/