[Koha] Implementing Koha for the First Time

Charles Kelley cmkelleymls at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 14:46:11 NZST 2019

Greetings, everyone!

    First and foremost, I wish to thank everyone for help in installing
Koha.

    Second, I forgot a few times to copy the title line ("subject") from
various posts to this discussion email group. I'm sorry for doing so. I'll
make the effort to be more diligent in the future.

    I have recently moved to another library and I find myself tasked with
implementing Koha here. This is the first time I have had to do something
like this. While I was the system administrator for my old library's
InnoPAC/Millennium, it amounted to changing preferences, options, settings,
etc., installing system updates, and occasionally teaching the staff on new
and updated features. I did change the hard drives a few times, but by and
large InnoPAC/Millennium ran itself. Network issues were handled by IT
staff both internal to the library and external to it.

    To experiment with Koha, I found Josh Hertel's testlibrary Koha 3.2
Debian Jessie. Because my new library doesn't yet have permission to
implement Koha on the system, we set it up on a demonstration machine. It's
a Mac laptop running Mojave, and Koha runs in emulation in VirtualBox
Debian 9.9.

    I recently discovered that my new library uses MARC tag 242 (title
translation) extensively. Koha doesn't index 242 automatically from what I
can tell. I found instructions on how to add a tag to the indexing, but I
cannot add 242 in Hertel's test library because he apparently locked out
access to the underlying Debian OS. I could convert tag 242 to 740 through
MarcEdit and solve the problem that way. But I feel compelled to preserve
242 given the environment. And it would address another underlying problem,
to wit: local library decisions on what (additional) tags to index and what
tags not to index in cases like mine. I don't want to get into a full
discussion of the underlying philosophical problem; just the immediate
problem of indexing 242 will do for the present.

   So I have to connect to my implementation of Koha and begin using it
henceforth.

    But, while I can connect to Hertel's test library, I cannot connect to
my implementation of Koha. I have followed his installation instructions
and the installation of several videos presented on YouTube (with
adjustment for updates and upgrades in Debian, adjustments for Ubuntu vs.
Debian, differences between Parallels and VirtualBox, etc.). The settings
look the same to me. But clearly I missed something. Can anyone suggest
what I missed?

   Thanks for your help, all.

--
    -- Charles.

    Charles Kelley, MLS
    PSC 704 Box 1029
    APO AP 96338

    1-301-741-7122 [US cell]
    011-81-80-4714-5490 [JPN cell]

    mnogojazyk at aol.com [h]
    cmkelleymls at gmail.com [p]

    linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls <http://www.linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls>
    Meeting Your Information Needs. Virtually.