[Koha] Debian vs Ubuntu server for koha

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 27 01:49:20 NZST 2019

Greetings,

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 10:42:19AM +0200, Michael Kuhn wrote:
> Personally, I think I heard or anyway I feel like the developers are
> usually using the newer Debian version (thus Debian 9) which results
> in a smoother installation process.

Yes, I believe this is true as well.

From: Dave Sherohman
> Note that Debian 10 (buster) was released on July 6, so stretch is
> no longer the latest stable version.  I would expect buster to
> support koha (using the stretch packages if buster packages are
> not yet available) with no problems,
> but I haven't tried it myself.

While Buster is the latest, I have tried installing Koha on it, and had some
issues. I would recommend sticking with Stretch (Debian 9) or Bionic (Ubuntu
18.04 LTS).

And given that Debian is the preferred Linux Distribution, if you wish to
have a GUI, you can always install that after. The default desktop manager
for Ubuntu 18.04 is gnome which can be installed from Debian's wiki
instructions: https://wiki.debian.org/Gnome

Though, it is strange to install a desktop on your server, because Koha is
access via webclients, which can be on any computer which knows how to reach
your server. The only use case that I could see is a small library with no
budget for multiple computers, and only a single staff person doing all the
check-ins and check-outs.

GPML,
Mark Tompsett