[Koha] Debian vs Ubuntu server for koha

Michael Kuhn mik at adminkuhn.ch
Fri Jul 26 20:42:19 NZST 2019

Hi Tom

 > Kindly advise me the better option for server space between Debian and
 > Ubuntu for koha  production server.

According to
https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Debian#Debian_Packages_on_Koha the
following distributions are currently supported:

* Debian 8 (Jessie)
* Debian 9 (Stretch)
* Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic)

Personally, I think I heard or anyway I feel like the developers are
usually using the newer Debian version (thus Debian 9) which results in
a smoother installation process. I'm not sure if it's true but it seems
to me even if Koha can be installed on Ubuntu or even some other Linux
distributions, it will often need some extra effort to make it work on them.

So if you're not absolutely depending on Ubuntu or any other
distribution I would always recommend Debian GNU/Linux. Also just
because Debian GNU/Linux is the base of Ubuntu anyway.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes: Michael