[Koha] 2 koha web and 1 database

Sebastian Krieg sebastian.krieg at tuz-eisenach.de
Tue Jan 8 03:07:00 NZDT 2019

Hello,

I think using the OPAC web instance this should work but using workflows in koha with the intranet web instance there are some topics you must think about.

1. only serveral OPAC instances
Theoretical you can use several web instances with one database instance if you give every web instance her "own" network port (initial: 8000/8080) in the koha-httpd.conf. If you only will more OPAC web instances you can clone your web instance, give the clones new network ports (more than 8000, don't forget some firewall configs you have a firewall between user and web instance) and erase the "intranet" part of the koha-httpd.conf. On the same way you can "split" your koha in two web instances (1rst: OPAC with port 8000, 2nd: intranet with 8080).

But if you want the same network port for all web instances, then you need a load balancing solution in front of your web instances.

2. serveral intranet instances (I hope my description is understandable...)
You can clone your web instance in the same way like in 1. Please consider the serveral network ports or the possibility of a load balancing solution.

But in this case you must guarantee that you didn't get corrupt data in your database adding or editing biblio records with mor as one intranet web instance!

If you opens the same record from two web instance clients, normally mysql/mariadb should lock the record you will edit. Then you should get an error, when the second web instance client will edit or save it, But, I'm not sure. you must test it.

But if create a new record I don't know if the web instance get an unique id from the database beginning adding the data in a new record or if the web instance collect the whole record data an save it in one step in the database. In booth cases you must test if you get corrupt data or index records.

I hope this answer will help you. Technical it's simple when you don't need a load balancer solution. And you must test the access from several Web instances to one database!

Sebastian