[Koha] Koha enquiry for a new library

Bob Birchall bob at calyx.net.au
Wed Feb 20 14:13:27 NZDT 2019

Hello Sumayya,
What size is your bibliographic collection and how many users will you have?
For a new library, the main steps are:
- enter basic administration parameters such as your library or
branches, item types and user categories;
- configure the system preferences so that Koha supports your policies
and workflows;
- import your bibliographic records; and
- import your user (patron) records.

Information about all of this is in the Koha manual:
https://koha-community.org/manual/18.11/en/html/
where there is also an implementation checklist:
https://koha-community.org/manual/18.11/en/html/implementation_checklist.html

We know of small libraries (up to 1,500 records) who started up by
entering all their data into Koha directly. More commonly, you'll
capture the data to spreadsheets. In the case of the bibliographic data,
there are tools (not part of Koha) to convert your spreadsheet data to
the MARC format required by Koha. If you have a large collection, this
is a big job.

There are companies that sell these services:
https://koha-community.org/support/paid-support/

Consult the manual, then ask more questions on this list.
Good luck,
Bob Birchall
Calyx