[Koha] Installing Koha Demonstration Site

Michael Kuhn mik at adminkuhn.ch
Wed Aug 7 00:59:34 NZST 2019

Hi Fadhili

 > I kindly request assistance on how to install and configure a Koha
 > demo site (for training purposes) that will be resetting itself at a
 > particular time every day.
 > Kindly refer to those ones listed in https://koha-community.org/demo/.
 > I have a Ubuntu 18.04 LTS server ready that can be accessed from the
 > internet.
 > NB: I know how to install Koha in a production setup. It's only how to
 > make it a demo one that resets itself in a specified time.

1. You need a perfectly working Koha installation with everything you
want to show.

2. Take a backup of the database of this installation

$ mysqldump -u root --password=yourpassword --opt yourdatabasename >
/path/to/yourdatabasename.sql

3. To replace the current database (changed by the demo users) by the
originally saved database use a cronjob of user "root", for example like
this:

0 5 * * * /usr/bin/mysql --user=root --password=yourpassword
yourdatabasename < /path/to/yourdatabasename.sql

4. Also rebuild the Zebra index, just some minutes later when the
database is loaded.

10 5 * * * /usr/sbin/koha-rebuild-zebra -f -v yourinstancename

5. Since this is not a productive instance I found it a good idea to
restart Memcache daemon etc. to minimize ocurring cache problems. Be
sure this happens onyl after the Zebra index ghas been rebuilt.

40 5 * * * /usr/sbin/service memcached stop && /usr/sbin/service
koha-common stop && sleep 5 && /usr/sbin/service koha-common start &&
sleep 5 && /usr/sbin/service memcached start

I guess that's about it. However, it's basically what I did when I setup
my demo installation at http://adminkuhn.ch/wiki/Koha-Demoinstallation

Of course you may use some further scripting (for example to stop people
changing the password of the superuser in your demo installation etc.)
but that's up to you and your needs.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes: Michael